• Investec - An experienced player in the market

CLG Mhuineacháin - Official Monaghan GAA Website

AIB ULSTER FOOTBALL INTERMEDIATE CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP QUARTER FINAL – Magheracloone Mitchells (Monaghan) 3-10, O’Brien’s GFC, Foreglen (Derry) 2-10.

November 4th, 2019

AIB ULSTER FOOTBALL INTERMEDIATE CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP QUARTER FINAL – Magheracloone Mitchells (Monaghan) 3-10, O’Brien’s GFC, Foreglen (Derry) 2-10.

Magheracloone booked their place in the semi-final of the Ulster intermediate club championship but they were pushed to the very pin of their collars by a resurgent and resilient Foreglen in this keenly contested and at times highly exciting contest that was played in good conditions at the excellently appointed Grattan Park in Inniskeen yesterday afternoon.

Played at a cracking pace throughout this was a contest that saw the sides level five times in the first twenty-five minutes before Magheracloone struck for two goals in the space of two minutes from Michael Metzger and Allan Kieran, to help them to a five points half-time lead, 2-6 to 0-7, Kevin O’Connor from frees keeping Foreglen in the match.

In the second-half the game built in intensity as Foreglen forced a number of turnovers, but like Magheracloone were wasteful in their use of possession and some of their finishing, and after conceding a third goal in the eleventh minute of the second-half they found themselves seven points in arrears.

To their credit they refused to capitulate and they were thrown a lifeline with a goal from a penalty by Mark McCormack in the sixteenth minute after he was adjudged to have been fouled in the area and when they hit the Magheracloone net for the second time five minutes from the end of normal time, Oisin Duffy with a screamer, just one point separated the sides and the issue wide-open.

Magheracloone to their credit rallied at this stage with veteran Tommy Freeman central to getting things back on track with two points from frees , but the Magheracloone goal enjoyed something of a charmed life on a couple of occasions before they closed it out with a late point by Padraig McMahon. Foreglen finished the game with fourteen players when Liam O’Hara was sent off on a straight red card six minutes into stoppage time.

Teams and Scorers: Magheracloone: David Kirk, Michael Jones, Pete Ward, Paul McArdle, Conor McKeown, James Ward, Killian Rudden, Jamie Kieran, Gavin Doogan, Barry Kieran, Allan Kieran 1-0, Padraig McMahon 0-1, Alan McCahey 0-2 (2f), Michael Metzger 1-2 (0-1f), Tommy Freeman 0-5 (2f). Subs: Jack Doogan for K Rudden ( 41, Black Card), Ryan Farrelly 1-0 for A McCahey (41), Liam Og Murray for M Metzger (51), Niall Marron for B Kieran (57), Peter Tuite for C McKeown (60), James Lambe for T Freeman (60 + 4 Black Card).

Foreglen: Tiarnan Burke, John Duffy, Cathal O’Hara, Conrad Sheerin, Padraig Monahan, Oisin Duffy 1-1, James Francis O’Kane, Liam O’Hare, Mark McCormack 1-0 (pen), Eoghan Duffy 0-1, Kevin Dunne, Sean O’Connor, Cahir O’Connor, Kevin O’Connor 0-6 (6f), Caolan O’Connor. Subs: Ciaran McFeely for J Duffy (20), Eunan McFeely for K Dunne (43), Gavin McCormick for JF O’Kane (46), Jonathan O’Dwyer for Caolan O’Connor (51), Odhran McFeely for J O’Dwyer (60 + 5).   Referee: C Dourneen (Cavan).


Image – Fintan McTiernan

Our Sponsors