• Lá na gClub Leaderboard

CLG Mhuineacháin - Official Monaghan GAA Website


August 23rd, 2018


Gerry’s Fresh Fruit and Veg U13 Division 2 League Shield Final

Scotstown 3-8 Clontibret 2-6

Scotstown survived a brave comeback from Clontibret to claim the U13 Division 2 League Shield Final on a cold, sunny Wednesday evening in Emyvale.

The Blues had 2-4 scored before Clontibret even registered their first point of the match. The first score came after 5 minutes, a point from Sean Óg McElwain. This was followed up by white flags from Max Maguire, Bobby Boylan and Rueben Sheridan.

In between these points, Clontibret were showing their own attacking potential, and forced a fine save from Jimmy McKenna in the Scotstown goal after nine minutes.

What the O’Neill’s couldn’t do at one end, the Blues done at the other. Tommy Mallon charged through the heart of the Clontibret defence and smashed home Scotstown’s opening goal after 14 minutes, to leave Scotstown 1-4 to 0-0 to the good.

Things almost got worse for Clontibret, with Ian Walsh being forced into a close range save 3 minutes later. In the next attack though, Max Maguire made no mistake and raised Scotstown’s 2nd green flag, making the scores 2-4 to 0-0.

Clontibret finally got on the scoresheet after 19 minutes, thanks to a point from play by Luke Brennan, and a Josh Lowey free 60 seconds later.

Gareth Rhattigan responded with his own pointed free for Scotstown, before Rueben Sheridan tore through the defence to score Scotstown’s third goal, putting them 12 points in front with half time approaching.

Josh Lowey pointed his second free for Clontibret to leave the scores 3-5 to 0-3 in favour of Scotstown at the change of ends.

Clontibret were much better after half time, and sub Jake Brennan made his mark from the off, swinging over a fine long distance point from the left boot, seconds into the second half.

Bobby Boylan responded for Scotstown before Henry Kelly split the posts for Clontibret once more. After some five minutes of scrappy play, Matthew Sherry was on target for Scotstown with a long range point.

Odhran Keenan then made it 3-7 to 0-6 with a fine score for the O’Neills. With four minutes remaining, Clontibret made their move, Ben Kelly crashing home a goal along the ground to reduce his team’s arrears to 7 points.

Max Maguire settled Scotstown nerves with a neat point from the left boot to leave the scores 3-8 to 1-6 to the Blues as Full Time approached.

A minute into injury time, Luke Brennan fired home Clontibret’s second goal from a close in free to reduce the margin to five points. It was too little, too late however, as the final whistle was blown and Scotstown were crowned champions.

SCOTSTOWN: Jimmy McKenna, Adrian Larmer, Conal Gallagher, Darragh McMeel, Bobby Boylan 0-2, Tommy Mallon 1-0, Rueben Sheridan 1-1, Gareth Rhattigan 0-1 (1f), Sean Óg McElwain 0-1, Donnchadh Connolly, Max Maguire 1-2.

Subs: Matthew Sherry 0-1 for Gareth Rhattigan (H/T), Mark McCaffrey for Conal Gallagher.

CLONTIBRET: Ian Walsh, Aodhan Doyle, Keelan McKeever, Nathan Coyle, Nathan Brennan, Henry Kelly 0-1, Odhran Keenan 0-1, Luke Brennan 1-1 (Goal from free), Cialean Cawley, Shaun Myers, Josh Lowey 0-2 (2f).

Subs: Ben Kelly 1-0 for Nathan Brennan, Jake Brennan 0-1 for Cialean Cawley (H/T).

Our Sponsors