CLG Mhuineacháin - Official Monaghan GAA Website

Drumhowan Rocked by IFC exit

July 18th, 2011

Mc Guigan Builders Websize

McGuigan Builders Intermediate Football Championship

Rockcorry 0-10 Drumhowan 0-5                 17/7/11


Rockcorry are still in the McGuigan Builders Intermediate Football Championship after they deservedly saw off Drumhowan by double scores in Aughnamullen on Sunday evening. Played in difficult conditions, the game never rose to any great heights, with Drumhowan making a tame exit, scoring just five points for the second consecutive championship game while hitting twice as many wides (ten). Despite being without Keith Daly and Mark McGuirk through injury, Rock led from start to finish and they could have made been more comfortable had they not missed a few goal chances.

Fergal McGeough provided an effective target at full-forward, Mark Daly and Noel Carroll were on top in the middle, Stephen McGuirk was lively at wing-back and Damien Matthews was solid at full-back. Only Dermot McDermott and Darren Duffy made any real impression for Drumhowan, who were short on scoring power in the absence of the suspended Colm Lambe and the injured David Millar.

It took just a minute for Fergal McGeough to get Rockcorry up and running and although Kieran Mooney equalised for Drumhowan, Mark Daly won and scored a 30-metre free to restore Rock’s lead. Stephen McGuirk added a point from a 20-metre free after a foul on Garry Calvert and Rock could have put clear daylight between the teams if they had taken a couple of goal chances that fell their way in the opening quarter. Keelan Clerkin fired the first one wide after McGuirk and Calvert had combined well to put him through, before Paul McKeown had a snapshot saved by Drumhowan keeper Enda Duffy. A Paul McKeown point increased the gap, but Dermot McDermott responded with a good point after he had linked up with midfield partner Anthony Mulligan.

McKeown got his second point after McGeough had flicked a high ball from Dwayne Rooney into his path and McGuirk tapped over another 20-metre free, following a foul on Noel Carroll. A strong run by Carroll created a point for McGeough, who added a fine score after he had been well-placed by Daly to give Rock a five-point half-time advantage on a scoreline of 0-8 to 0-3.

Kevin Mooney gave Drumhowan a boost at the start of the second half with a well-taken point after a one-two with Paddy Mulligan, before Liam McGuirk brought them to within three at the end of a move involving McDermott and Christopher McGinnity. Both sides survived nervy moments as Clerkin narrowly missed the target after he had been released by Calvert, before Rock keeper Jamie Smith just managed to hold on to a McGinnity free at the second attempt just as it looked set to creep over the line.

Darren Duffy kicked a point at the end of a superb run through the Rockcorry defence, but instead of inspiring Drumhowan, they failed to score in the final 20 minutes. The final quarter produced just two scores, both from 30-metre frees by Daly, after fouls on Paul McKeown and Noel Carroll. Calvert fisted just wide from a punt forward by Noel Carroll in injury-time, but Rock had done enough to book their place in the next round.


Rockcorry: J Smith; C Reilly, D Matthews, O Fitzpatrick; S McGuirk (0-2f), B Patterson, N McKeown; M Daly (0-3f), N Carroll; K Clerkin, G Calvert, M Carroll; D Rooney, F McGeough (0-3), P McKeown (0-2).

Subs: C Quinn for McGeough (inj., 54 mins), L Smyth for M Carroll (58), P Reilly for C Reilly (61).

Drumhowan: E Duffy; Darren Duffy (0-1), P Duffy, M O’Neill; Damien Mooney, N Mooney, Dermot Mooney; A Mulligan, D McDermott (Capt., 0-1); Kevin Mooney (0-1), L McGuirk (0-1), Damian Duffy; P Mulligan, C McGinnity, Kieran Mooney (0-1).

Sub: JP O’Neill for Dermot Mooney (48).

Referee: S Gilsenan (Donaghmoyne).

Our Sponsors