CLG Mhuineacháin - Official Monaghan GAA Website

McArdle magic sees Doohamlet pip Tyholland in IFC Final

October 7th, 2012


McGuigan Builders Intermediate Football Championship Final

Doohamlet 0-12 Tyholland 1-8                                 7/10/12


Doohamlet won the IFC title for the second time in three years, edging out Tyholland on the final at Clontibret on Sunday. Man of the Match Paul McArdle kicked eight points from frees for Doohamlet, who dominated the first half before holding off a strong second-half comeback from Tyholland. Doohamlet should have been more than five points up at half-time, but they were left hanging on in the end after Raymond Ronaghan scored his fourth goal on four championship matches to bring Tyholland level inside the final quarter. That was one of just two scores from open play for the north-Monaghan men, who also lost to Doohamlet in the IFC Final two years ago.

McArdle’s accuracy was key for Doohamlet, while Martin Hughes, Gabie Casey, Colin Walshe and Darren Connolly put in strong performances in defence and Niall Connolly kicked two important points, including the winner. Gary McQuaid overcame injury troubles to play for Tyholland, who also had Karl O’Connell back for his first championship game since the opening round in July, but although Dermot Coyle and Shane Treanor and Cyril and Raymond Ronaghan did their best to keep them in touch, it wasn’t enough.

Doohamlet took over straight from the start, with a long ball from Ted Duffy releasing Shane McManus, who had a shot saved by Tyholland goalkeeper Pauric Hamill, before Paul McArdle opened the scoring from a 40-metre free for a foul on Ted Duffy. McArdle added another brace of 30-metre frees for fouls on Ollie Hughes and Shane McManus, either side of the first point from play by Mark Murphy, which came after good work by Greg Duffy and Paul McArdle. Shane McManus made it five-nil to Doohamlet at the end of the first quarter, following a well-worked move involving Greg Duffy, Paul McArdle and Niall Connolly, before Tyholland finally got off the mark in the 20th minute when Dermot Coyle converted a 30-metre free for a foul on Cyril Ronaghan.

Paul McArdle then won and scored a 30-metre free, but he was lucky to escape further punishment for a high tackle on Gary McQuaid just five minutes after he had been shown a yellow card. Dermot Coyle kicked his second point from a 30-metre free after Ciarán McManus had been penalised for over-carrying, but a foul on Jason McElroy allowed McArdle to boot over a 50-metre free and leave Doohamlet five clear (0-7 to 0-2) as the sides changed ends.

Tyholland made a bright opening to the second half, as Shane Treanor pointed a free from the right wing after a foul on Raymond Ronaghan and Dermot Coyle added a point from a 30-metre free after McElroy had been penalised for over-carrying. Treanor landed a 45-metre free following a foul on Brian McArdle, but Niall Connolly got on the end of a swift Doohamlet counter-attack to kick a point. Raymond Ronaghan had a chance to get Tyholland back into it when a flick-on by Dermot Coyle from a high ball in by Brian McArdle put him in behind the Doohamlet defence, but he blazed his shot wide and Paul McArdle kept the 2010 champions in charge via a 30-metre free after a foul on Niall Connolly.

Peadar Farrelly got Tyholland’s first score from play on 42 minutes after Raymond Ronaghan and Ryan McKenna had combined to create the chance and although McArdle responded from a 30-metre free after Gregory Ronaghan had been adjudged t have over-carried, Coyle kicked a similar effort after a foul on Karl O’Connell. Tyholland drew level with 12 minutes to go when Shane Treanor sent in a dangerous centre which led to Dermot Coyle having a fisted effort parried by Doohamlet keeper James Casey, but only as far as Raymond Ronaghan who drilled the rebound to the net.

McArdle and Treanor swapped points from 30-metre frees after fouls on McElroy and Ronan McNally and Doohamlet missed a chance to reclaim the lead when Ted Duffy over-hit a pass intended for Shane McManus. They got another chance, however, when Tyholland gave possession away sloppily in the middle of the field and Doohamlet broke quickly to get the ball to Niall Connolly, who split the posts for what would prove to be the winning score.

Ted Duffy accepted the Paddy O’Rourke Cup from county chairman Paul Curran in front of a jubilant band of Doohamlet supporters, while there was little surprise that Paul McArdle was the recipient of the Man-of-the-Match award. Doohamlet now go on to the Ulster IFC, where they will play the winners of the preliminary round, which will be between Derry champions Swatragh and the winners of the Cavan final replay between Cootehill and Lacken.



Doohamlet: J Casey; G Casey, M Hughes, J McElroy; K McArdle, C Walshe, D Connolly; C McManus, G Duffy; T Duffy (Capt.), P McArdle (0-8f), M Murphy (0-1); O Hughes, S McManus (0-1), N Connolly (0-2).

Subs: G Comiskey for Murphy (44 mins), S Gilsenan for G Duffy (52).

Tyholland: P Hamill; S Connolly, G Ronaghan, P Coyle; G McQuaid, R McNally, T Connolly; B McArdle, C Ronaghan; R McKenna, S Treanor (0-3f), P Farrelly (0-1); K O’Connell, R Ronaghan (Capt., 1-0), D Coyle (0-4f).

Sub: P Askin for McKenna (46).


Referee: M McMahon (Aughnamullen).


Our Sponsors