CLG Mhuineacháin - Official Monaghan GAA Website


September 20th, 2022

Killanny GAA Notes



Results for 18th Sept draw… 6, 9, 15 & 20 – No jackpot winner!

Weekly prize winners €20 each – Paddy Duffy D/D, Martin Crawley D/D, Ann McGardle, Kevin Finnegan, Anne & Jemma Hamill

Next week’s jackpot will be €17,900 !!

Draw will be held in the Community Centre next Sunday night – €2 each or 3 for €5. Thanks for your support.


Junior Championship

We made the trip to Castleblayney last Saturday afternoon to take on Eire Og in the Junior Championship Quarter Final. Straight from the throw-in, Eire Og set their stall out into defensive mode with every one of their six forwards retreating back inside their own half. So, needless to say, it was a game where we were going to have to be patient and wait for opportunities. The first one came after 2 minutes when Dean Connolly found a sliver of space to turn and fire over. Eire Og equalised after 6 minutes through a long range free from their keeper before Tiernan Duffy hit a good score to edge us back in front. Eddie Walsh converted a free on 12 minutes, but Eire Og kept tabs with a score of their own from play. Eddie converted another free on 16 minutes, then from the next Eire Og attack they broke into our box one-on-one with our keeper, who in trying to block the shot on his goal, was adjudged to have fouled the attacker, so a penalty was awarded. Kian Duffy stood tall in his goal though which was enough to put the shooter off and he dragged his shot wide of the post. A swift kick out and counterattack ensued and some great play from Eddie Walsh to wriggle inside the Eire Og defence saw his shot at goal come back off the upright and into the hands of the waiting Kyle Connolly who made no mistake in finishing to the net. A huge turning point indeed, this had us 1-04 to 0-02 up with half-time approaching and the final say in the first half went to Eire Og, pointing from a free to leave us four points up at the break.

Points were exchanged in the opening minutes of the second half with ours coming from a Jack Kiernan free, quickly followed by another Eddie Walsh conversion. Eire Og were plugging away and matched further scores from Jack & Eddie in the 40th & 42nd minutes to stay within five. However, entering the last quarter, the exerts of their blanket defensive system were beginning to show as more and more space opened up for us to exploit. This was evident when Cillian Leegan glided through in the 45th minute to score a lovely point before Eddie Walsh did the same a minute later. Eire Og managed another score from play before Leego again ghosted in to finish off a good move to put us 7 points up with 10 minutes to go. Eddie Walsh then got another fine score from play followed by a converted free before we made a number of substitutions entering the final stages. Our final scores came from two of the aforementioned substitutes when Conor Grimes converted nicely and Gavin Flanagan, finding himself through on goal fired over when, if the match had been tighter, he would surely have gone for the major. Nonetheless it was a decent performance, notably in the 2nd half and a 9-point victory against a stubborn opposition 1-15 to 0-09. Well done lads!

We now advance to play Scotstown in the semi-final on Sat 1st October.



Hard luck to our U-17’s who lost their first match in the Div 2 Championship away to Clones 1-19 to 2-08 on Sunday last. This result means we finish runner-up in our group and advance to a semi-final against either Aughnamullen or Magheracloone in 2 weeks’ time.


Killanny Ladies

Hard luck to our Senior ladies who suffe

Our Sponsors