• Investec - An experienced player in the market

CLG Mhuineacháin - Official Monaghan GAA Website


September 18th, 2019

Killanny GAA Notes


Results for 15th September draw…. 12, 17, 27 & 28

No jackpot winner!

Weekly prize winners €20 each – Helen Duffy D/D, Catherine McEnroe, Mairead Martin, Gerard McGonnell, Betty Byrne, Mandy Vernon

Next week’s jackpot will be €5,700 – draw will be held in Shirley Arms

Intermediate League

Cremartin were the visitors to Pairc Eanna last Sunday morning with the prize of a league semi-final place still in sight for both sides. We were first off the mark when Ronan Grimes made a quick break up the field and fired over a good score from distance in the 1st minute. Cremartin equalised from a free straight away and it took all of seven more minutes for the next score, another Cremartin free. Both sides had settled in to quite defensive formations and scores were at a premium with our defence probably just coming out on top. This was evident when the scores were tallied at the end and Cremartin would only score once from play with all but one of their scores coming from placed balls. Cillian Leegan played a good one-two with Conor Vernon on 16 minutes to fire over a low driller which the keeper assisted by pushing over the bar to draw us level. There was another barren spell for the next 7 minutes until Cremartin edged in front via another free on 23 mins although during that time the visitors were guilty of three of four bad wides from some good play. Eddie Walsh equalized from a free on 25 minutes but it was the Cremartin free taker who had the last say of the first period pointing from another dead ball to give them a 0-04 to 0-03 lead at half-time. Michael Vernon was introduced for Danny Leegan and his first involvement was to earn a free on the right wing which Kilian Collins converted to bring us level after 32 mins. Cremartin hit two more frees in the 34th & 35th minutes to regain the lead but it was short-lived as Eddie Walsh again restored parity from a free on 37 minutes. Both sets of forwards were definitely living off scraps from two mean defences and it was a game where the placed ball kickers had to be at their best for their sides. We found it very difficult to break down the determined Cremartin defence, but they were getting over exuberant in their tackling and were giving away easy frees. Luckily enough Eddie Walsh had his eye in and converted two more frees in the 39th & 40th minutes to edge us two in front 0-08 to 0-06. Then in the 45th minute Cremartin found a rare gap in our defence and their no.11 darted through the middle and it needed a last-ditch tackle from Robbie Berg to prevent the shot on goal. The referee saw this as a black card offence and Robbie had to go. Sean Finn came in in his place just after Cremartin had converted the resultant free and reduced the gap back to one. Yet another Cremartin free two minutes later had the game all square again and very much anyone’s to win. Daryl Traynor was then introduced for Gavin Flanagan and it was another 9 minutes before the next score would arrive. Our patient build-up was rewarded when the ball found its way to Daryl who made a drive down the middle of the Cremartin rear-guard only to be fouled on the 21-yard line and an easy tap over for Eddie Walsh. However, Cremartin would not lie down and a good move started from a short kick-out ended with them hitting their first and only score from play on 57 minutes and we were level again. Michael Vernon had been a live wire since his introduction and was allowed too much room out wide on the left and perhaps a little unexpectedly took on the shot but managed to curl over a beauty to put us in front. As has so often been the case this season we

found ourselves leading by the minimum approaching the final whistle and hanging on for dear life but credit to the lads they managed to do just that albeit a little fortunate as the 4 minutes of injury time played out, Cremartin did have two good opportunities from free kicks to at least get a share of the spoils. However, luck was on our side and both kicks were off target and we earned a valuable five points to send us into third position in the league. A win in the rescheduled game at home to Tyholland next weekend will guarantee us a semi-final spot.

Team & Scorers; Michael Quinn, Adam Kieran, Ronan Duffy, Robbie Berg, Cillian Leegan (0-02), Ronan Grimes (0-01), Conor Vernon, Gavin Flanagan, Tiernan Duffy, Stephen McMahon, Dean Connolly, Eddie Markey, Danny Leegan, Eddie Walsh (0-05), Killian Collins (0-01). Subs used: Michael Vernon (0-01) for Danny Leegan, Sean Finn for Robbie Berg, Daryl Traynor for Gavin Flanagan


All roads lead to Inniskeen on Saturday afternoon for the meeting of Killanny and Tyholland in the Final of the U-15 Championship.

Throw-in is at 2.00pm in Grattan Park so please come along and support the team. Best of Luck to the team and management on the day.


Hard Luck to the U17 team which lost out to Scotstown at the semi-final stage of the Championship which was played at Cremartin on Tuesday past.

The Killanny boys could not be faulted for their effort on the day and their never say die attitude will stand them in good stead in the years ahead. We look forward in the not too distant future to seeing a number of these lads feature on the senior team.

Our Sponsors